sharpecostumes (sharpecostumes) wrote in bike_shop,
sharpecostumes
sharpecostumes
bike_shop

Big ol' slice of humble carb pie

Turns out carburetors not only regulate fuel, but humble the novice that works upon them. I was rather proud of myself for doing what I had done and, with my service manual arriving today and carb kits yesterday, I set off to work on taking them apart as much as I could without a ratchet set. After going through the manual though I discovered... there are many more than just the two jets I had found. Quite a few more actually. I saw that what I originally thought was the pilot jet was indeed the main air jet and discovered the main air jet is really the secondary jet. So! Where was the pilot jet? Digging some more I found it was under the plastic plug. I popped that off, changed its gasket, and paled as I realized the jet wouldn't budge. I didn't dare mess with it remembering what I had to do to get the main jet off, so I moved on. I removed the floats and float valve needle, drain screw (swapping out its O ring) and began to take it all apart once more until I got to what I found out was the pilot jet screw and its cover. It not budging and I not owning a punch I grabbed the dremel and drill bit once more and was able to free the cap.

Much rambles later I had it all taken apart as I could go...



(shown above was after cleaning and the start of putting everything in)Q tips, paper towels, and a good ol' can of carb cleaner were put to use cleaning every inch of the carbs, placing that nozel into each hole I could and cleaning it out soundly. I figured I would order the needed jet and place it in once it arrived, but then things started to go down hill upon re-assembly.


It began with the pilot jet covers and their gaskets. For starters I couldn't get them to go back in.Straight up and down didn't work so I tried coming in at an angle and, right when I think I have it, I realize a part of the gasket is still out, pinched. Well, turns out, not pinched but sliced. Oh great. Brand new O rings and I've already managed to slice one open. Most likely not the first time its happened and I'm guessing it won't be the last, so I moved on placing the new pilot jet screws with their springs, washers, and new gaskets into the carbs...


One thing I did before removing the jet screws was notch the direction as well as count how many full turn sit took to remove them. Screwing them in, however, seemed to be a different number as what it took to screw it out lodged the tip of the needle into the carb screwing in. I figured if I gently screwed it out a little to adjust it, all would be well. After a few turns the needle didn't budge. Couple more turns. Still no change. I removed the darn thing completely along with the spring, washer, and O ring to find the needle had broken off!


So good news. Carbs sparkling and clean, new gaskets on everything (minus one pilot jet plug), all main jet brass shavings are gone, and new main jets to be ordered. Bad news.... I am now down one O ring, the pilot jet plugs refuse to go into their place, and I have a needle stuck in a very bad spot...Being very grateful I bought a couple of those so I'm not at a complete loss.

But I can really say I didn't expect this to be easy, though I'm still enjoying it. My headlight came in, my ignition, keys, and gas tank lock should be arriving soon, and a new clutch case should be here by early next week. The headlight works well (with the exception that it's missing the back casing) and good useable  front forks have been found many a times. It's very interesting to see how everything works, especially from a novices eyes. I know I will mess up, I know I will lay the bike down... but I'm eager and excited to get back up and try again.
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 2 comments